Friday, April 10, 2009

Officially Started!

Alright!  I have officially started the "garden" in my kitchen.  So far I have basil, cilantro, chives, red bell peppers, tomatoes, and a mixture of different "gourmet" lettuce types growing in containers.  Instead of going completely crazy, as I originally intended, with the first iteration of my container garden I decided to reign it in a bit and see how it goes.  I hope to be able to expand this next year, or even later in the spring since we have such a long growing season here in Georgia.  Instead of investing in large outdoor garden containers, I used a combination of smaller pots that I had on hand with the addition of a few that I had to go pick up.  All of the containers are small enough to be moved easily.  The intention is to keep the herbs on the kitchen window sill all year long, with the lettuce, red bell peppers, and tomatoes being mobile and moving back and forth between the back porch and the house (we have huge rain storms that have literally washed tomatoes off the back porch in previous years).  I did all of the planting (seeds, not existing plants) yesterday using organic plant/veggie soil.  I still have a few herbs to add such as mint and rosemary. I am contemplating adding a few other things as well, but we will see how it goes.  I also re-potted all of our house plants including the new baby spider plants that I have been "growing" in jelly jars on the window sill.  I gently removed the baby plants from their Momma plant and placed them in water until they started to sprout little white roots.  They are now securely tucked into their own tiny pots (to be transplanted as they grow).  In a few more weeks I should be able to move some more into water.  It's much cheaper (and very easy) to replicate the plants at home.  I want to have enough per room to do a good job of cleaning the air.  I have discovered one small problem with the house: we get no direct sunlight in the main living areas.  There is a lot of direct sunlight in the kitchen, as well as one of the bedrooms, but the rest of the house is in the dark until about 4 PM.  I guess I will have a kitchen green house.  Which also led me to this thought: our garage gets SO HOT in the summer that I think I may try to use that as a green house as well (baby plants, etc).  I am not sure if this will work or not...but I think I am going to try.  

No comments:

Post a Comment