Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Trying

to find a job
to stay away from the computer once I've done my requisite daily job hunt, email check, bill pay, news read, etc. 

But I find myself drawn back to the laptop for a few things: 1)  I can't stop watching the stock market.   I watch it like a mother hen, crossing my fingers every time it ends the day on the plus side.  2)  I refresh the websites that contain my resume to see how many hits I have had on each.  3) I feel the need to look up RANDOM stuff all day long.  

So more on 3) later on.  

As a part of my 1) I have a tendency to read pretty much every article on CNN.com.  I read an article today about successful start ups.  These are start up companies that have really come in to their own (or even been developed) as a part of this current recession (for the most part, since December of 2008).  One of these new companies has a website called path101.com.  This website allows you to take quizzes, and blog, but it's all career based.  Well, hell, I say to myself.  Self: that's GOT to be better than making buttermilk and wondering if the El Jefe is jealous because I fed a stray cat on the porch.  Well, actually, I had a whole conversation with the cat, including checking to make sure it didn't have any obvious injuries, checked for fleas and ear mites as well as making sure it had claws to defend itself in the wide, wide world of our cul de sac and where ever else it might roam.  So, self and I, we roam over to this site and take the quiz and upload the resume (the best resume I have ever written about myself, I might add).  And what does it say about me?  My top three highest scoring traits are, in this order: Neuroticism, Emotion, and Openness.  My three lowest scoring traits are, in this order: Compartmentalization, Experimentation, and Initiative.  It also told me in no uncertain terms that it isn't actually sure how I got my last job, because "I don't stay in the same place long enough".  I was promoted 2 times in under 3 years.  What the hell?  This is supposedly some great resume "genome" project (like pandora.com is for music).  I like Pandora.  I don't like this website.  I am now off to research a bit more on Neuroticism on wikipedia (who has yet to fail me) and finish making the buttermilk for my banana bread.  bah. 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment