Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ahem! (Farmer's Market Cashier Lady)

A discussion with a woman I've named Ahem! who works at the fake Farmer's Market that I like to shop at for our weekly vegetables and meat.  


Me:                 Do you like working here?
Ahem!:           I don't know if I should say. What do you do?
Me:
                 I am laid-off. Otherwise unemployed. A loser.
Ahem!:           Oh, is it just you? 
Me:
                 No.  Me, the dog, and my boyfriend.
Ahem!:           Oh, so you don't have any children.
Me:
                 No.
Ahem!:           Hm. How old are you?
Me:
                 How old are the red bell peppers you are trying to sell me? hm, no?  Ok, I am 32.

Ahem!:           You should have children. Before it's too late.

Me:
                 I don't really want to have children. I might adopt one.

The whole time I am speaking, she gives me curious looks. Literally she is unsure of what I am.  Am I from another planet?  Why in the world does she not want to have children?  I am uncomfortable with the silence and the curious looks coming from the other side of the register.  And for some reason I feel the need to talk, a geyser of talking.  

Me:     Well, why would I want to make another one when there are SO many others out there                 that need to be loved, that need good homes, you know…all that.

Ahem!: <> you don't want to have it here?

I should mention that this is the International Farmer's Market and one of their "things" is that everyone that works there is bi or even tri-lingual. So there is an ever so slight (not really slight) language barrier here. Although I can see on Ahem!’s name tag that she does speak two other languages besides English. They are not languages that I am familiar with so I am unable to just switch over.

Ahem!: But they will take care of you. When you cannot afford things, they will help you.


I only tried to get her to talk because she looked miserable after the manager guy came over and gave her and the next cashier down a talking to about something that they are NOT supposed to do regardless of whether or not they have a customer with them.

Oye. That's what I get for actually trying to engage someone in a little friendly conversation.


No comments:

Post a Comment